Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I wish tohelp my sister who is 80 aooly for the age SSI. She…

Customer Question
I wish tohelp my...

I wish tohelp my sister who is 80 aooly for the age SSI. She has been a widow for 9yrs and has run thru her savings she stays with her daughter who provides room and board she is aUS citizen living in Jackson miss I wish to understand the rules they are too complicated for my sister so she has asked my help

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

She has no income cannot work she is 80 cannot afford the mediacare premiums if she has SSI and Medicaid she will be ok because she is very frugal her bank account is less than 1000 she has no assets aside from personal efefcts whatis the path forward

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/14/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 11 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

For a person 65 or over you simply

• Call us at 1-***-***-****. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can call us at TTY 1-***-***-****, or
  • Visit your local Social Security office. (Call first to make an appointment.)

...

SOunds like she easily qualifies as it relates to assets.

...

In general, the income limit for SSI is the Federal Benefit Rate (FBR), which is $735 per month for an individual and $1,103 per month for a couple in 2017. Remember, though, that not all income is countable, and so you can earn more than $735 per month and still qualify for SSI.

...