Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I want to change the bank account where my monthly benefits

Customer Question

I want to change the bank account where my monthly benefits are deposited
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My social security check is deposited in one of my banks, I want to change the account to which they are deposited. How do I do this?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

Please understand that you are not talking to Social Security here. Social Security does not correspond electronically…. (OTHER than to allow you to use the online MySocialSecurity account, discussed below).

...

This is JustAnswer.com ... a website that puts verified experts together with people who have questions about everything from Social Security, to tax, to finance, to the way these things work together.

...

I CAN, however, tell you exactly what your options are for changing your direct deposit. (You have THREE OPTIONS)

...

(1) ... You can use "MY SOCIAL SECURITY" an online account that allows you to get copies of your award letter/benefit verification letter, 1099-SSA, see your earnings record, get proof of benefits, manage direct deposits, etc.

...

You can go there, log in (or simply register, THEN log in, if you've never used it) and make the change immediately.

...

Here's the site for that: click here for MY SOCIAL SECURITY

...

If you'd rather not use your online account, you have two other options:

...

(2) ... By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. THEY can help you with this.

OR

...

(3) ... You can go to your closest Social Security Office. (Although you might want to call the number above first to make an appointment).

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Again, so sorry, but these are your only three options.

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

P.S. _ I'm sorry, I forgot one other option: You can do this at your bank.

...

All depository institutions have the forms to do this For you.

...

That's it.

..

Lane