How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12698
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get an award letter for mortgage application from

Customer Question

How can I get an award letter for mortgage application from Social Security for my wife
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name's Lane.


Please understand that you are not talking to Social Security here. Social Security does not correspond electronically…. (OTHER than to allow you to use the online MySocialSecurity account, discussed below).


This is ... a website that puts verified experts together with people who have questions about everything from Social Security, to tax, to finance, to the way these things work together.


I CAN, however, tell you exactly what your options are for getting a copy of your Award/Benefit verification letter. (You have THREE OPTIONS)


(1) ... You can use "MY SOCIAL SECURITY" an online account that allows you to get copies of your award letter/benefit verification letter, 1099-SSA, see your earnings record, get proof of benefits, etc.


You can go there, log in (or simply register, THEN log in, if you've never used it) and print your document(s) immediately.


Here's the site for that: click here for MY SOCIAL SECURITY


Once you are logged in to your account, select the "Replacement Documents" tab


If you'd rather not use your online account, you have two other options:


(2) ... By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. THEY can send you this.



(3) ... You can get one by going to your closest Social Security Office. (Although you might want to call the number above first to make an appointment).

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way will compensate me for the work here.



I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.