Chad Schoch
Chad Schoch,
Experience:  CPA at Sheridan Healthcare
100043507

How do I stop a ss check after death, my wife passed away

Customer Question

how do I stop a ss check after death
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: my wife passed away 9-11-17
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: SS office here in Winter Haven Fl was closed testerday
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Chad Schoch replied 1 month ago.

First off, I am very sorry for your loss. We at JustAnswer will help you in every way

I was recently displaced by Hurricane Irma so I could only imagine what you are going through.

As far as your question goes, there are two options when it comes to stopping the social security benefits. The first is to contact your local social security branch and to notify them of the passing. The second option is to call 1-***-***-****. This is the main social security office. The main office is available Monday-Friday from 7am-7pm.

Note that in some cases, the funeral home will report the passing to the social security office if you provide them their social security number. Be cautious with this approach, I would recommend going through the main phone number above.

Also note that there are options for survivor benefits that we can discuss once I answer your initial questions.

Again, I am very sorry for your passing. Please let me know what I can do to help.

Thank you

Please let me know if you have any additional question. If you do not, please rate me as excellent if you have received a high quality answer. If not, please let me know what else I can do to earn your high rating.