Chad Schoch
Chad Schoch,
Experience:  CPA at Sheridan Healthcare
100043507

I want to protect my social security account from hackers

Customer Question

I want to protect my social security account from hackers involved with the Equifax breech since they know my social security number
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: How can I put a freeze on my account from hackers trying to get at my information or my money accumulated in my account?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I will not be tapping into my social security benefits until next year.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Chad Schoch replied 1 month ago.

Good Afternoon -

I am an expert with Just Answers and am here to help in any way. From what I understand, you want to best understand how to protect your assets, specifically social security. Is that correct? I can completely understand that this is a scary time for you, as it is for most Americans. No worries though, I will help you along the way. My first piece of advice would be to avoid the Equifax website. Have you been on to specifically check to see if your SSN was compromised? From there, I can help you with your next steps.

Good Afternoon - I would like to add that I do have the phone numbers, fees and overall process to freeze your account. Once you tell me if you have been to the Equifax website, there is danger in this, we can proceed forward with your answer.

Thank you - I look forward to helping you along the way!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I went to the Equifax website to get the form letter and their address to freeze my credit account. I did not search or enter my social security number.
Make sure that you do not go onto their website to check of your ssn was compromised. In their fine print it reads that you give up your rights to sue them if something happens with your identity.
By accepting the terms of service, you accept the liability of your ssn being compromised
Would you like all the contact information needed to freeze all your credit bureau accounts? Along with processes?
Expert:  Chad Schoch replied 28 days ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional question. If you do not, please rate me as excellent if you have received a high quality answer. If not, please let me know what else I can do to earn your high rating.