Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I'm changing banks for direct deposit from Bank of America…

Customer Question
I'm changing banks for...

I'm changing banks for direct deposit from Bank of America to Wells Fargo.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I was about to type the next sentence and when I hit RETURN my page jumped to here. My new routing number is###-##-####and my new account # is(###) ###-#### I emailed SS earlier this week with this information, but I have no verification that it went through. When I called 1-***-***-**** today I was on hold for 45 minutes before I gave up.I hope you can help me.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I do not think so.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/14/2017
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 11 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll provide the info you'll need.

Changing direct deposit accounts is a frequent issue here. There are three ways to do it.

1) Visit your local social security office. Give them the new account info and a voided check.

2) Call (it seems you tried this; they say the average wait time is 36 minutes. You just have to give them time)

3) Use your online account. If you do not have an account, you can easily create one by going to www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount, clicking on "Sign In or Create an Account," and providing the requested information:

A. You will need your name as it appears on your social security account, your social security number, a U.S. mailing address, a U.S. driver's license or ID card, and your personal info (date of birth, etc.).

B. It helps to have a cell phone capable of receiving text messages, although this is not mandatory.

C. After providing the ID info you will choose a user name and a password. The system will then send you a security code via email or text.

D. That's it. The entire process takes about ten minutes. Once your account is created you will be able to manage your direct deposits, print a benefits verification letter, review your payments and history, etc.

Hope that took care of your concerns. Thank you!