How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15711
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Under my current employment arrangement I can carry over a

Customer Question

Under my current employment arrangement I can carry over a significant amount of vacation time that adds up to a sizable about of money. I am hoping to reduce my income tax exposure by deferring the pay out of the vacation check to next year while retiring on January 1, 2018. Would the $2 for $1 Social Security Offset be applicable if the vacation check was to be issued to me during 2018?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 month ago.

Yes it will count if you are not at full retirement age (66 years of age for most people). If you worked for wages, income received after retirement counts as a special payment if the last task you did to earn the payment was completed before you stopped working. Some special payments to employees include bonuses, accumulated vacation or sick pay, severance pay, back pay, standby pay, sales commissions, and retirement payments.

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.