Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

This is my second marriage and he just passed away. How can…

Customer Question
This is my second...

This is my second marriage and he just passed away. How can I go back to my first husbands

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

When I got remarried, SS told me that when my new husband died I would be able to go back to my first husbands SS. Is this true?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/13/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 11 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi My name’s Lane - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

Yes, that's correct. As long as you are unmarried (or any second marriage has ended due to death divorce or annulment) you may take the higher of any benefit for which you qualify).

...

In this case, this would be your own work record benefit, and any survivor benefit that you qualify for (which WOULD include your previous spouse as well as the spouse that has just passed.

...

It's important to note ( as it looks like you understand) that we cannot "stack benefits," as Social Security calls it (add one benefit TO another) ... BUT, again, SSA will let you take the highest of the benefits.

...

Survivor benefits, so sorry, cannot be requested online. You'll need to call the Social Security call center and then can either start the application there (they'll tell you what you need to provide in terms of documentation) OR they can get the process started and set up an appointment for you to take documentation into gghe local office.

...

By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Will I need my first husbands SS #? He died in 1990 and I do not have that.

They can help you retrieve the number. YOu should also get a copy of your marriage license.

Where do I get that?

For a certified copy of your marriage certificate, contact the vital records office in the state where you were married for instructions on how to request a copy and information on any fees.

Even though the guidelines vary by state, all requests should include:

• Full names of both spouses at time of marriage
  • Month, day, and year of the marriage
  • Place of marriage (city or town, county, and state)
  • Purpose for which copy of marriage certificate is needed
  • Relationship to persons whose marriage certificate is being requested
  • Daytime telephone number (include area code)

...

Use this page: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w/index.htm and click on your state to see the vital records information (under "Marriage").