taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, MA, MST with 31 years' experience. Teach Accounting and Tax courses at Masters level.
74656765

I have two divorces, the first one was 20 years and the

Customer Question

i have two divorces, the first one was 20 years and the second was 18, my question is am i entitled to one of ther
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: i have been collecting my own social security benifits for 5 years and heard recently if either of my ex husbands earn more i am able to collect on either of them. the first marriage was 20 years and the second was 18,
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: i have both of their social securities numbers if needed
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  taxmanrog replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Please give me a few minutes to type my answer.

Expert:  taxmanrog replied 1 month ago.

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits; and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.

Your benefit as a divorced spouse is equal to one-half of your ex-spouse's full retirement amount (or disability benefit) if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age. The benefits you can collect do not include any delayed retirement credits that your ex-spouse may receive.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any more, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great week!

Expert:  taxmanrog replied 1 month ago.

I have not heard back from you. Do you have any further questions?

If not, please don't forget to rate me. It is how the questions are closed.

Thanks!