Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am almost 70 1/2 and my wife is about 67. She did not work…

Customer Question
I am almost 70...

I am almost 70 1/2 and my wife is about 67. She did not work for pay as we had 9 children. How do i maximize what she can receive whether or not I die first?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I was the earner and I earned a lot during my working years. I am now retired but have not taken any social security yet. I just filed and used medicare. I understand that because i now am 70 1/2, i will need to start taking social security. I am most interested in ensuring that my wife, who did not work, will receive as much as possible even if I die before her, which is likely. What can we do now to maximize what she gets now and after I pass away -- which is not imminent but may happen before her. She was born in 1950 (september 30) and I was born on April 3, 1947. What am I required to do now and how much does she get once I pass away, and how do we maximize what she gets?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I earned enough so that I maxed out in how much one can receive through social security but my wife did not work for money at all except for a couple of years. In California, where we live, she is entitled to one half my income as community property. Does that make a difference? one half my income would also max out social security for her. The question is what we do this year, when I will be forced to start taking social security, to maximize what my wife gets over time and after I die.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/13/2017
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 9 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

There's no reason to postpone your benefits beyond 70 and I urge you to apply as soon as possible. You can get up to 6 month of retroactive benefits. After 70 your benefits do not earn any more credits.

For your spouse, if she will never qualify for her own benefits there's no reason for her to wait to apply for spousal benefits. She will not increase her benefits by waiting beyond her full retirement age. But to qualify for spousal benefits you must apply for your own benefits first.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?