How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 66 and started recieving social security at age 62

Customer Question

I am 66 and started recieving social security at age 62 because of forced early retirement. I became disable at age 64 because of a car accident which wasn't my fault. Can I get disability?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: what more should I tell you?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

At full retirement age disability benefits switch to regular benefits. You cannot apply for disability after your full retirement age.

If the social security determines that your disability started at 64, you will get retroactive payments from the onset of your disability until your full retirement age. Thant your benefits will go back down to the original amount.

For instance, if your benefits were 750 at 62 and 1000 at full retirement age and your disability started at 64, social security pays your retroactively higher benefits between 64 and 66. In the month you reach full retirement age your benefits will reduced to 750.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How can social security determine when my disability started? If I have to pay more money then don't answer this question
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Your doctor would have to provide an affidavit and your diagnoses. Social security will request your medical records. If the disability was caused by the car accident than the date of the accident will be used as starting date of your disability.

You can ignore the phone call request. It was website generated.