dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My sister who will be 85 in November is in dire need of

Customer Question

My sister who will be 85 in November is in dire need of money until she can sell her home. I have told her that since she was married to her husband for more than 10 years and they divorced several years ago, she might be eligible to collect some of that needed money by going to her SSA in CT and applying for this benefit. She is at wits end and very depressed. Can she do what I thought she could do?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Her house is on the market and has been since February. They have lowered the price twice and have had no luck. She has spent all of her retirement and is now living on just her SS
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

She may be eligible for higher benefits but only if benefits based on her ex is higher than benefits based on her own records. Depending when she applied, her spousal benefits could be between 30 and 50% of what her ex was eligible for at his full retirement age. Generally, if you apply for benefits, part of the application process is verification that you are not eligible for higher benefits based on somebody else's records. If she listed all her current and ex spouses on the application as required, she is most likely receiving the highest benefits. But mistakes can happen and it never hurt to check.

She would have to contact social security directly to make sure that her ex husband's benefits were considered when she first applied.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?