How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12672
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Could i draw on mt x husbands ss rather than my own and

Customer Question

could i draw on mt x husbands ss rather than my own and possibly draw more
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was married for 16 years I draw social security now on myself Could i possibly draw more on his
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

You need to make an appointment with social security.You are allowed to draw the higher benefit.They will calculate both and give you the higher one.It is worth an office call here to find out.

Find your nearest office here.

I appreciate the chance to help you and wish you the best here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I have a different answer.


THe spousal, and ex-spouse) benefit is (at most) 50% of the workers benefit. So unless his benefit is more than twice as large as yours, then your benefit would be higher by sticking with your own.


You should also know, however, that the SURVIVOR benefit for divorced spouse can be as high as 100% of the benefit (starts at 71.5% of the worker's benefit at your age 60, up to 100% if you wait until your full retirement age to start the benefit).


Finally, you DON'T need to make an appointment with Social Security.


You can apply:

  • Online, if you are within 3 months of age 62 or older, or
  • By calling our national toll-free service at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****) or visiting your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.


See that from Social Security here:

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way will compensate me for the work here.



I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.