Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Could i draw on mt x husbands ss rather than my own and

Customer Question
Could i draw on...

Could i draw on mt x husbands ss rather than my own and possibly draw more

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I was married for 16 years I draw social security now on myself Could i possibly draw more on his

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/12/2017
Social Security Expert: Ray, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You need to make an appointment with social security.You are allowed to draw the higher benefit.They will calculate both and give you the higher one.It is worth an office call here to find out.

Find your nearest office here.

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

I appreciate the chance to help you and wish you the best here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 11 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane. I have a different answer.

...

THe spousal, and ex-spouse) benefit is (at most) 50% of the workers benefit. So unless his benefit is more than twice as large as yours, then your benefit would be higher by sticking with your own.

...

You should also know, however, that the SURVIVOR benefit for divorced spouse can be as high as 100% of the benefit (starts at 71.5% of the worker's benefit at your age 60, up to 100% if you wait until your full retirement age to start the benefit).

...

Finally, you DON'T need to make an appointment with Social Security.

...

You can apply:

• Online, if you are within 3 months of age 62 or older, or
  • By calling our national toll-free service at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****) or visiting your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.

...

See that from Social Security here:https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-2.html

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.