lucy7368
lucy7368, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

My wife and I receive soc sec...I receive her "share", and

Customer Question

My wife and I receive soc sec...I receive her "share", and she mine. I was born April 17, 1948...my # is ********* She was born February 5, 1949...her # is *********. Presently I receive $533/mo and she receives $1187/mo. If we were to switch to full benefits in October, or as soon as allowed, what would our monthly benefits be? JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of? Customer: My wife and I receive soc sec...I receive her "share", and she mine. I was born April 17, 1948...my # is *********. She was born February 5, 1949...her # is *********. Presently I receive $533/mo and she receives $1187/mo. If we were to switch to full benefits in October, or as soon as allowed, what would our monthly benefits be?

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lucy7368 replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Spousal benefits are typically half what the spouse would receive on their own record, although they can be adjusted if you started receiving benefits before reaching full retirement age. If your wife is getting $1,187 on your earnings record, you should get twice that, or $2,374/month. You're getting half of her benefit, which means that her benefit on her earnings record would be about $1066/month. But she doesn't have to take that. She can continue receiving benefits on your records and keep taking the $1,187/month. That doesn't impact your benefit at all.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Expert:  lucy7368 replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any questions about this?