Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My husband passed away and I just got his Death Certificate

Customer Question

My husband passed away and I just got his Death Certificate today. Where do I go and what do I do to augment my Social Security check?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: His SS# *****###-##-####JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Thomas C. Castagnaro
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi - My name's Lane. I'm so sorry for your loss.

...

Again, sorry to be the messenger here, but applying for survivor benefits from Social Security cannot be done online.

...

you'll need, either, to call the 1-800 number to apply for the benefit or go into a local office.

...

I would recommend calling first (that way they can pull up the records and tell you what documents you need to send Or take in to the appointment) and setting an appointment to go into the local office.

...

By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

You can see this from Social Security here: https://www.ssa.gov/survivors/

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Hi My name’s Lane - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986