Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

My sister has custody of you daughter's 4 children, all 18

Customer Question
My sister has custody of...
My sister has custody of you daughter's 4 children, all 18 and under. All the children have the same daddy. My sistef's daughter is living in a rehab facility, been in jail numerous time with a boyfriend. The father as recently been in a sever car accident and is paralyzed from waste down with a girlfriend. I s there any funds out there than can assist my sister. The only help she gets is from a parttime job and we family members can help with. Brenda Dunn, Tennessee
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I am making the initiative here for to try and get something and some help for these children. I know life is not fair but surely it should be this bad. I wish you could meet them. My sis will do what ever I as for as coooperatiing with you. she had just given up. Please help.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/13/2017
Social Security Expert: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the father or her daughter have worked and have paid into Social Security, she can seek to apply for "dependent's benefits" for each of the children based upon both of their parents paying into the system and now being disabled. The benefits would continue until the children reach 18, unless the children are disabled and then they can continue indefinitely. So, if both or either parent has worked and paid into SS, she needs to contact the Social Security Administration about dependent benefits.

Also, she needs to contact social services in TN as well, they have programs available for these situations where she is caring for children that are not her children, but most are temporary or are renewed by the state legislature annually, so if the state cuts benefits those could be lost, unlike social security dependent benefits.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney