How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12691
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is a minor who receives social security benefits who goes to

Customer Question

Is a minor who receives social security benefits who goes to school and lives at home have to pay federal income tax?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am my daughter's representative as she is in high school. She is 15 and does not work. Does she have to pay federal income tax on her social security income?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Yes, At the end of the year will I need to file her total income "separately" from my husband's and my tax filing under her own social security number?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

No. Social Security is only taxable is her "provisional income" is above a certainl level. See this from IRS and Social SecurityL:


If you:

  • file a federal tax return as an "individual" and your provisional income* is
    • between $25,000 and $34,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits.
    • more than $34,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.



Your adjusted gross income
+ Nontaxable interest
+ ½ of your Social Security benefits
= Your "Provisional income"

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

So if she HAS no other income, her social security would have to be 50,000 (4166 per month) before SOME of it would be taxable. She has no filing requirement.


Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way will compensate me for the work here.



Hi My name’s Lane - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.