Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Thank you for this service! My question is: I'd like to

Customer Question
Hello, thank you for...

Hello, thank you for this service! My question is: I'd like to apply for social security benefits from my deceased husbands pension. I think it is called reduced pension for widows. My birthdate is this Dec. 2017, I was born in 1958, I question when I can apply for this. I have visited the S.S. office and have not understood really, if I can apply as early as Oct. 2017, or do I have to wait and be 60 for 10 months before I can apply, that being Oct. 2018?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

My husband died in 2003, it is his benefits I'm seeking, mine will not be as much.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/12/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 11 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Hi and welcome to our site!

First of all - you qualify for social security benefits as a surviving spouse at age 60.

Benefits will be reduced - because you are starting before your FRA - full retirement age.

If you was born in Dec 1958 - you will turn 60 in Dec, 2018 - and your first check will be for January 2019 - and will arrive in February 2019.

You may apply three months before your become eligible - in Oct 2018.

You may not apply before that.

Let me know if you need any help with processing.