How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29964
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thank you for this service! My question is: I'd like to

Customer Question

Hello, thank you for this service! My question is: I'd like to apply for social security benefits from my deceased husbands pension. I think it is called reduced pension for widows. My birthdate is this Dec. 2017, I was born in 1958, I question when I can apply for this. I have visited the S.S. office and have not understood really, if I can apply as early as Oct. 2017, or do I have to wait and be 60 for 10 months before I can apply, that being Oct. 2018?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: My husband died in 2003, it is his benefits I'm seeking, mine will not be as much.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to our site!

First of all - you qualify for social security benefits as a surviving spouse at age 60.

Benefits will be reduced - because you are starting before your FRA - full retirement age.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 month ago.

If you was born in Dec 1958 - you will turn 60 in Dec, 2018 - and your first check will be for January 2019 - and will arrive in February 2019.

You may apply three months before your become eligible - in Oct 2018.

You may not apply before that.

Let me know if you need any help with processing.