How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12679
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I took my social security before my husband started his. I

Customer Question

I took my social security before my husband started his. I drew ss off my wages. He is now drawing his and I want to verify that I am drawing off his. Does that automatically
happen or do I contact ssa? Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi, No, its not automatic. This is becasue, if a person is under full retirement age (FRA, age 66 for those born between 1943 and 1954) they don't have to switch right away.


They can WAIT until they turn FRA to get the full 50% spousal benefit, rather than taking a reduced spousal benefit at, say, age 64.


Making this change automatic would unfairly punish those who want to wait, to get the full unreduced spousal benefit.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Here's a good overview of this issue:


Also you can apply for the spousal benefit online.


Click HERE for Retirement, Spouse's, Medicare or Disability Benefits online.