How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 118788
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has ALS for 15 years now, and he has to have home

Customer Question

My son has ALS for 15 years now, and he has to have home care now, however, the Company that he worked for provides him with his primary insurance, and medicare is secondary. His Primary insurance coverage has been depleted for the year, and medicare will not pay for any of his home care, because they say they are secondary and it is not covered.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: This is not retirement - he is only 50, he is medically disabled. He was not informed of the fact that he needed to get additional coverage being that medicare was not primary.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

If his primary benefits have run out, then you need to provide that proof to Medicare, because they are only the secondary insurer for as long as primary insurance is in effect. You need to contact the medicare office and speak with a supervisor and provide them the proof you have. That is the first step.

Second if his benefits have run out and he receives SSDI, you also need to seek to apply him for medicaid benefits if he can qualify based on his disability, but he he does not qualify, he should still have medicare reinstated as his primary insurer upon proof he no longer qualifies through his other insurance.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.