How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask keeperumiami Your Own Question
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 7197
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
keeperumiami is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife passed away on august 31 do i get to keep her check

Customer Question

my wife passed away on august 31 do i get to keep her check for august & septeber allso.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 month ago.

As you may know, Social Security Retirement and Disability benefits are paid 1 month in arrears.

Social Security is unable to pay benefits for the month of death, no matter what date that occurs.

So, in your situation, the payment received in August was for July and that payment does not have to be returned. However, the payment for August will come in September and will have to be returned since your wife passed away on August 31st, the payment for August (paid in September) will have to be returned.

Here's how the SSA puts it in one of their publications:

"If a beneficiary dies,

Let us know if a person receiving Social Security benefits dies. We can’t pay benefits for the month of death. That means if the person died in July, the check received in August (which is payment for July) must be returned.

If the payment is by direct deposit, notify the financial institution as soon as possible so it can return any payments received after death."

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Please remember to rate my response.

Thanks very much,

Steve G.