keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

I am closing bank account that you are sending my checks to.

Customer Question

I am closing bank account that you are sending my checks to. I want to change bank account number and send to a new account or send directly to my home Mark Rodack
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am closing bank account that S.S checks are sent to now and want to send to another account or my home Mark S Rodack
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No I can give new account and routing number
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

There are three ways to accomplish what you want.

1. The easiest way is to check with the bank where the new account is that you want your benefits deposited. The banks often offer this service for their customers.

2. You can call the Social Security Administration at 1-***-***-**** and ask them to make the change. The only problem with this is the wait on "Hold" can be very, very long.

3. The last way, and most direct method if your bank doesn't offer the service is to make the change yourself online. In order to do that you will need to go to ssa.gov and set up a "My Social Security" account. Once you do that, you will see that there are a number of things you can do and information you can obtain through that website. One of the options is to change the bank account information where your benefits are deposited.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions or need any further assistance.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
very good

As a further note, you could also call your local SSA office to instruct them to make the change.

Here's a link to assist you in finding your local office's phone number.

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp#officeResults

Please remember to rate my response.

Thanks very much,