How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12702
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm currently receiving my SS benifet. My question is, If I

Customer Question

Pearl, I'm currently receiving my SS benifet. My question is, If I relocate to a foreign courntry as residence, will I continue to receive my social securtiy mayments as they current are?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I' I'm thinking of relocating to a foreighn country as my residence. The question is will I continey to receive my benefits to a designated bank in that country.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No, nothing. It's a very simple question I have.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi My name’s Lane - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.


THis is NOT the simple question it seems to be.


The answer depends on (1) the country. Social Security has totalization agreements (social security treaties) with MANY countries (but not all) - and (2) the type of benefit you are receiving.


And the nature of the agreement with each country is different.


All of the various scenarios are covered here:


I CAN tell you (from experience with my clients) that it is VERY important that you stay in touch with social security and complete the questionnaire they will send every two years to recipients in other countries where it is allowed.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

If you'd like to specify the country, I can give you a more specific answer.