How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask taxmanrog Your Own Question
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 743
Experience:  Licensed CPA, MA, MST with 31 years' experience. Teach Accounting and Tax courses at Masters level.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
taxmanrog is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I want to change from a professional payee to a family

Customer Question

if I want to change from a professional payee to a family member or a good trusted friend do they need to fill out as many forms regarding how they work with me on how my money is spent?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I want a trusted friend to be my payee but I don't want to use her time filling out lots of forms.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: A friend offered to do it for me. I would feel better working with her. I just don't want to cause her more work in reporting back and having extra paper work to do.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was given the right to handle my own money a few years ago but I was badgered by my case manager to get a payee. She harass me so much that I have in. I have regret rd since then.
Expert:  taxmanrog replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!t

Please give me a few minutes to type my answer.

Expert:  taxmanrog replied 1 month ago.

If you are looking to change the person who manages your money, to pay your bills and manage investments, you should be able to go to any lawyer and have them draw up a simple power of attorney. With a power of attorney, you can control what the new person is allowed to do. You can give her blanket power to write checks, you could give her power to write checks up to a certain amount ($1,000 per day, or $1,000 per check, for example) or even restrict payees (she may not write checks to certain persons, or she may only write checks to certain places, etc).

As a CPA, this is an area where I have seen many clients confront. In fact, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) has come up with a program that they call ElderCare. It is a program where a CPA can actually work as the financial manager for clients who cannot or do not want to act on their own.

If you want her to handle any tax matters, those are not usually covered by a standard Power of Attorney (POA). You would have to file a Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative, to allow her to talk to the IRS, file and/or sign tax returns, cash refund checks, etc. Many states accept the Federal POA, but depending on the state, you might have to fill out a State POA as well. For example, the State of Illinois, where I practice, requires a Form IL-2848 to be filed before I can act on a client's behalf.

In summary, it should not take a lot of paperwork to have her take over as manager of your money. Any lawyer should be able to put together a simple POA that would take care of your issue easily. In drafting the POA with the lawyer, you can define what she is allowed to do, which will give you control over the matters as well.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any more, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Have a great weekend!