Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I have heard social security has been compromised, social

Customer Question

I have heard social security has been compromised
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: social security numbers have been given to outside sources by error. is this true?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I need a confirmation that my social security is safe from the hands of any intruders.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Social Security has NOT been hacked, but Equifax (one of the three major credit bureaus) has.

Equifax is asking its customers to visit a special website (equifaxsecurity2017.com) it set up to determine whether you might have been affected by the cyberattack. Of course, that website also asks you to enter part of your social security number as well. The firm has also set up a call center(###) ###-#### that's open from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. ET.

The following link contains additional information you will find helpful:

http://mashable.com/2017/09/07/equifax-what-to-do-data-stolen/#rLsYrFXc18qW

http://fortune.com/2017/09/08/equifax-what-to-do/

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb