How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29970
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I receive workers comp. from my employer for an old accident

Customer Question

I receive workers comp. from my employer for an old accident which is about to be terminated and also receive disability. am I alright if not how much am I allowed to receive. I am also about to be terminated from my benefits through my employer, am I eligible for medical through s.s. I have been on dissb. for abought a year I am 63 thanx
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 month ago.

Several issues to consider...

Your workers compensation sis NOT taxable and not reported to the IRS.
Social security disability benefits might be partly taxable depending on your other income.

When workers compensation is awarded - in some situations recipients are required to apply for social security disability.

When disability benefits are started - workers compensation is reduced by the amount of social security disability benefits.

Sometimes it takes long time for disability application to process and approved - and personal are already received workers compensation during that period. So when a lump sum is awarded - some of workers compensation previously received will be paid back.

Let me know if any affect your situation.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 month ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.