Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I'm interested in a Social Security Agreement. Can you tell…

Customer Question
I'm interested in a...

I'm interested in a Social Security Agreement. Can you tell me more about it?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have heard about a Social Security Agreement that pays monthly. I am now on Social Security but it isn't much. I also worked ten years past collecting Social Security and wanted to know if those work years could become part of my Social Security Retirement? Thanks

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

No. But it's hard to make it on Social Security alone. Any help is grateful.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/8/2017
Social Security Expert: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 11 months ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Please give me a few minutes to type my answer.

If you work beyond full retirement age (FRA), you can earn 2% extra for every year that you delay collecting your benefits. IT seems that you started collecting while still working. That means you don't get the automatic increase.

If you work beyond FRA and are already collecting, the amount you earn will not automatically affect your benefits. The SSA takes your 35 highest work years to calculate your benefit. Once they calculate it and you start collecting, it is "fixed" and additional work history won't affect your monthly check, UNLESS you go to the SSA office and ask them to recalculate your benefits based on your new work history. Hopefully the amounts you earned in the prior 10 years are more than the lowest 10 years on your 35 year history that they used. In this way, the recent 10 years' wages will knock out the lowest 10 years' wages, and the result is a higher 35 year average for you.

But this adjustment is not automatic. You have to physically go to an office to request it.

I hope this answers your question. IF you have any more, please let me know and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great weekend!

Thank you. I understand that. A question I had also was about a Social Security Contract that some say pays out more monthly amounts. Do you know anything about this?

What you are referring to is an email scam that is going around now. There IS NO SUCH THING as a Social Security Contract.

According to the Social Security website, as well as several news sites, "A current email scam invites people to take advantage of “a little known Social Security contract” which enables you to receive “little known benefits.” Think that sounds too good to be true? It should — there is no “little known Social Security contract.”" This is from the SSA website.

The SSA website goes on to say "They insist that the situation is urgent and issue warnings. They try to convince you to act now to avoid a dire consequence. They promise a deal or secret that the public doesn’t know about. They come from organizations unknown to you. They offer things the government doesn’t want you to know, but they don’t come from a .gov website."

See it for yourself at :

https://blog.ssa.gov/does-it-sound-too-good-to-be-true/

The Stock Gumshoe tells you about one that wants you to pay $79 per year for a "Lifetime Income Report" here: https://www.stockgumshoe.com/reviews/lifetime-income-report/can-you-really-earn-6880-from-a-little-known-social-security-contract/

The website Motley Fool warned people on July 6 not to fall for the Social Security Contract scam here:

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017/02/05/dont-fall-for-this-social-security-scam.aspx

I am sorry to be the one to tell you about this. I know that most people on SS do not receive enough to live on and are looking for ways to increase the amounts they receive. Please don't waste your hard-earned money on something a scam artist is trying to tempt you with.

If you have any more questions, please let me know and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great weekend!

I have not heard back from you. Do you have any further questions?

If you don't, can you please rate me? That is how the question is closed.

Thanks!