Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I need to change my last name, I am married now how do I go…

Customer Question
I need to change...

I need to change my last name, I am married now how do I go about doing it

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I just need to change my last name

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/8/2017
Social Security Expert: TaxRobin, Tax Preparer replied 11 months ago
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Congratulations on your marriage.

If you legally change your name because of marriage you must tell Social Security so you can get a corrected card. You cannot apply for this online.

To get a corrected Social Security card, you will need to:

• Show the required documents. You will need proof of your identity. Sometimes you also may need to prove your current U.S. citizenship or lawful noncitizen status. ;
  • Fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card; and
  • Take or mail your application and documents to your local Social Security office.

Here is a link to the actual application

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited