Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

S. I am a US citizen and have been living in California for…

Hi my name is*****I...

Hi my name is*****I am a US citizen and have been living in California for the last 20+ years. I emigrated from Romania to the United States in 1996 at age 49 and earned my citizenship after a few years. In July 2014, I applied and received US Social Security benefits at the age of 66 and ½ ($1,326/month based on 21 years of work experience). I was recently in Romania this year from May-Aug, during which period I applied for Romanian SS benefits ($240/month, which fluctuates slightly depending on the exchange rate). I had the $ 240 wired to my US bank account. Two days ago, I went to my local Social Security office to update my file by reporting the $240 SS benefits I am now receiving from Romania. The office clerk told me that my US Social Security would be reduced by $120 going forward. When I asked the clerk to explain why my US social security income would be reduced, I was not able to understand his response. Are you able to help me understand why my Romanian Social Security income would be impacting the US SS income that I receive?

9/8/2017
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Sorry for your confusion...

Unfortunately that reduction is correct.

A pension based on earnings not covered by Social Security can affect the amount of your Social Security benefit.

Reduction is based on the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP).

If you paid Social Security tax on 30 years of substantial earnings you are not affected by the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP).

As you only have 20 years of substantial earnings - you are subject of reduction.

If you continue to work - your reduction will be reduced every year.

You may review additional information in following publication

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.

thank you, ***** ***** have another question will i be charged the $38 fee again?

Some additional information you might find helpful.

You might wonder how the SSA figures your Social Security retirement benefit.

They base Social Security benefits on your lifetime earnings - adjust or “index” your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received.

Then Social Security calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most.

If you worked less than 35 years - zeros are used for these missing years.

So - if you are continue to work - social security benefits will be recalculated EVERY year.

.

Regarding payments.. please be aware that experts do not have access to your account and do not know your payment plan.

As I know - you may choose a monthly subscription and ask additional questions with no extra charges.

But issues specifically about payments should be directed to the customer service.

I would be glad to help with any Tax and Social Security questions.

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor