How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband passed away 1/19/17. In Feb. I received, filled

Customer Question

My husband passed away 1/19/17. In Feb. I received, filled out & returned, the form to start things, I'm assuming. Upon hearing of his death, SS drew his Jan. check out of our bank account. About a month ago, it was returned with a letter that said that it was over & above any other funds received. There has been no contact since that letter. I just received my bank statement and the SS deposit was the same as I have been receiving. I understood that when a spouse dies, the other drops theirs, and begins receiving the amount the deceased spouse had been receiving. Could you tell me if that is correct and if it is, why haven't things been finalized. He has been deceased almost eight months. JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know? Customer: His name is***** *** SS# ***-**-****

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today :-)

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 month ago.

You will only receive one amount - and it's the larger of his or your check. If you drew more than him, then there would be no change. If he drew more than you, you should contact social security and find out why your benefit hasn't been adjusted.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not please rate positive.