Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Could you please tell me how to stop social security for my

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** you please tell me how to stop social security for my brother who is deceased?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am just trying to make sure that no additional checks are sent to his bank account.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't know. He died in Chicago, and I am in Virginia. However, he gave me power of attorney.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** .I have been practicing SS LAW full time for 12+ years, exclusively, and look forward to assisting you.

Hi Mary, I am sorry for your loss.

You can send the SSA a letter and a certified copy of the death certificate. If you do not have a certified copy yet, send the letter explaining and then follow up with the death certificate.

You can also call the local office or 1(###) ###-####to advise, although they typically want to see a death certificate to know it is not a hoax.

Note that often a funeral home will contact the SSA but not always.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me with 5 stars when you are done. It costs nothing extra but tells company to give me credit for my assistance to you today. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!