Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Upon death of a SS resipitant, when does payment stop?

Customer Question
Upon death of a...

Upon death of a SS resipitant , when does payment stop?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
9/7/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 11 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Since benefits are paid a month behind (e.g. the benefit for January is paid in February), any payment received during the month of death is payable and does not have to be returned.

...

But any check received during the calendar month AFTER the month the individual dies must be sent back.

...

This is becasue you must live a whole month for Social Security to pay a benefit FOR that month.

...

SO again what that means is that if a check is received any time during a month AFTER the month of death, it must be returned

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Hi My name’s Lane - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986