Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Upon death of a SS resipitant, when does payment stop?

Customer Question

upon death of a SS resipitant , when does payment stop?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: PRESENTLY RECEIVE CHECK 2ND WEDNESDAY EA MONTH. IF PASSAWAY BEFORE THAT DATE IS PAYMENT DUE BACK TO *****: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Since benefits are paid a month behind (e.g. the benefit for January is paid in February), any payment received during the month of death is payable and does not have to be returned.

...

But any check received during the calendar month AFTER the month the individual dies must be sent back.

...

This is becasue you must live a whole month for Social Security to pay a benefit FOR that month.

...

SO again what that means is that if a check is received any time during a month AFTER the month of death, it must be returned

Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Hi My name’s Lane - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986