dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My friend who is 90 was married to a man who retired from

Customer Question

My friend who is 90 was married to a man who retired from the federal government around 1976, when he passed away in 1997 his wife received an annuity he took out paid for with lower retirement payments. When she turned 65she collected his social security. A friend of hers told her she can not collect both social security and the government annuity. This has caused her to fear the government is going to take her house. Can you tell me if the law allows her to collect both?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: That is all I know, and I am trying to put her mind to rest.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My mane is Eva and I will be happy to help you.

It is not true that a person cannot receive social security and government pension at the same time. Government pension can reduce social security but may not eliminate it completely. It all depends on the amount of SS benefits and pension.

Federal government usually do not pay annuities. Generally, a person working for federal government receives a pension. Annuity is a financial product offered by private investment companies. Which means, an annuity usually do not offset social security benefits. If your friend is worried, she should check with the social security if her annuity will affect her benefits but I doubt. Her widows benefits are based on her late husband's payments. If his benefits were reduced by his annuity, her benefits were adjusted accordingly at the time she applied for her benefits.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?