How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3811
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband died July 5, 2017. The Idaho Cremation Society

Customer Question

My husband died July 5, 2017. The Idaho Cremation Society said they contacted ssa and advised you of his death. I need to apply for the $255 death benefit, but I don't know how
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have already taken care of my retirement benefit I just need to get the ball rolling so I'll get the $255 for my husband's death
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Please accept my deepest sympathy on the death of your husband.

Just Answer is not associated with Social Security so we do not have access to your or your husband's personal information.

Even though the Idaho Cremation Society reported the death of your husband, you will want to call Social Security yourself at 1-***-***-**** between the hours of 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday, to request the $255 death benefit. You will have to provide proof of identity for yourself and your husband when you call. You may have to provide proof of your marriage, and the Social Security representative will make an appointment with your local Social Security office.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,