How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother has become disabled due to strokes. I have been

Customer Question

My brother has become disabled due to strokes. I have been made legal guardian. How can I change the bank in NC his SS direct deposit goes to, to an already established guardianship account in SC. Do you need a copy of the guardianship papers? Both banks already have a copy. Thanks
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear of your brother's disability.

The most efficient way to receive SS is as a representative payee (for example, while they will honor Letters of guardianhip they do not honor Power of attorney documents).

There is a form (SSA-11) that the agency will mail to you if you contact them.

This explains the process, and also states the required reporting:

For a comprehensive guide please see:

Generally the bank account must be set up so it is clear who the beneficiary is but Letters generally will accomplish this.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
Terms of service can be viewed here: