Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I receive a pension from TRS> (Texas Retirement System) I…

I receive a pension...

I receive a pension from TRS> (Texas Retirement System) I only worked in school for 18 years and 28 years in the public sector. How can I calculate my social security benefit. I have worked for 7 years since my retirement from the school district and have paid social security

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

When I first retired from the school district, I received SS for one month. It was $485. When I call up my benefits on my account it is $1600 as a monthly income. Am I penalized for spending time in the public school?

8/30/2017
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

If you were born in 1929 or later, you need to work at least 10 years to become eligible for Social Security.

Basically, you earn up to four credits for every year worked, and you need a total of 40 credits to qualify for Social Security.

.

The Windfall Elimination Provision can affect how the SSA calculates your retirement or disability benefit.

If you work for a federal, state or local government agency, a nonprofit organization or in another country, you may be eligible for a pension based on earnings not covered by Social Security.

A pension based on earnings not covered by Social Security can affect the amount of your Social Security benefit.

The Windfall Elimination Provision doesn’t apply if you have 30 or more years of substantial earnings under Social Security.

If you have 28 years working covered under social security - that reduction might be eliminated in two years.

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor