Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I am inquiring about survivors benefits, My husband passed…

I am inquiring about...

I am inquiring about survivors benefits

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My husband passed away 20 years ago. my sons and myself collected survivors benefits briefly. I collected for 5 months then my youngest turned 16. Their benefits stopped when they graduated high school. I will be 60 this January and someone told me I could collect benefits again after that.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I am working now but I am just inquiring for information for the future.

8/30/2017
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Your information is correct.

You may be eligible for survival spouse benefits based on your age-

If you will turn 60 in January 2018 - you may apply three months before that - in Nov 2017 - and your first check will come in February 2018.

Let me know if you need help with application.

I am working now. Is there an income limit that could make me ineligible at this time.

You can get Social Security benefits and work at the same time.

There is NO income limit to make you ineligible.

However - EARNED income - wages or self-employment income - may affect your benefits.

if you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, the SSA will reduce your benefit. Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, the SSA will not reduce your benefits no matter how much you earn.

The SSA will use the following earnings limits to reduce your benefits: If you are under your FRA - full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2017 that limit is $16,920.

So depending on the amount of benefits - if your earning is higher - it is possible that reduction could be large enough to eliminate your benefits completely.

Thank you..your response was helpful..

Another issue to consider that Your Full Retirement Age For Survivors Benefits Is 66 And 4 Months - I assume that you were born in 1958.
If you choose to start your benefits at age 60 you will get 71.5% of the monthly benefit because you will be getting benefits for an additional 76 months.

I will be retiring in approximately 2 years. I am trying to find out how the different benefits work. Survivors benefits vs. retirement benefits. Is there a difference? I thought I might collect my husband's benefits until I reach full retirement age then go on mine at that point. Not sure if that makes sense.

Yes - these are different types of social security benefits.

Your retirement benefits are calculated based on YOUR working record, but survival spousal benefits are calculated based on your husband's working record.

You may start your own benefits as early as 62, but surviving spouse benefits may be started at 60 or earlier if you have a child.

And you are correct - you may have surviving benefits and delay your own - but you will not be able to have both benefits at the same time.

You will be getting the larger of these.

Thank you for your help. I have a better understanding now.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor