Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My spouse turns 66 in August 2018 and plans to file for her…

My spouse turns 66 in...
My spouse turns 66 in August 2018 and plans to file for her full retirement age benefit (she worked enough to qualify)
I turn 66 in Jan 2019. At that point I plan to file for my spousal full retirement benefit based on her benefit but NOT for my ftb planning to wait until I am 70.
When I begin to collect my benefits at 70 she would file for her spousal benefit based on my ftb (which will be higher than her ftb)
Is this a viable strategy. How do I make sure that when I apply for my sposal benefit I do not trigger an application for regular benefits and my benefit will continue to increase until I am 70?
8/17/2017
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. As it appears that you know, you can do exactly what you're talking about becasue you were both born before 1954 (grandfathered under the Bipartisan Budget act of 2015) and you are waiting until your full retirement age to do this.

...

The strategy is viable (and based on what you've said about her benefit being less than he spousal based on yours) does maximize benefits.

...

All you need to do is to be sure to file a "restricted application." You'll see this as an option when you file online.

You'll be filing a restricted application "restricted to spousal benefits only."

What you MIGHT want to consider is calling the call SSA call center and scheduling an appointment to go into the local office to file the application.

...

By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. THEY can start the process and set up an appointment so that go in talking to the right person,

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS