Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Can you let me now about my quarter in social security, I…

Customer Question
Can you let me...

Can you let me now about my quarter in social security

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I was told I have to have a certain amount of taxes taken out from the years I have work in the past and I really have been only working off and on for years but I have been working in the government for 26 years

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
8/8/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 10 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Hi and welcome to our site.

The SSA will use your total yearly earnings to figure your Social Security credits. The amount needed for a credit in 2016 is $1,260. You can earn a maximum of four credits for any year. The amount needed to earn one credit increases automatically each year when average wages increase.

You must earn a certain number of credits to qualify for Social Security benefits. The number of credits you need depends on your age when you apply and the type of benefit application. No one needs more than 40 credits for any Social Security benefit.

.

Another issue if you worked for the employer who did not contribute into Social Security system (for instance government jobs).

In this case - the SSA will reduce your Social Security benefits based on WEP - Windfall Elimination Provision.

The Windfall Elimination Provision doesn’t apply if you have 30 or more years of substantial earnings
under Social Security
.

For 2015-2016 - the amount of substantial earnings was $22,050.

Questions?