Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband needs a new social security card. Sadly he is…

Customer Question
My husband needs a...

My husband needs a new social security card. Sadly he is legally IRA SEYMOUR SKOWRONEK . MEDICARE CARD # IS###-##-#### BUT HE GOES BY SEYMOUR SKOWRONEK.. We have passport, birth certificate and drivers license that has Ira. He needs to prove his legal name because he has a part time job that does back ground check and while he "passed" they want his social security card. He went to social security office but got impatient because he said there were 100 people ahead of him. How can we proceed?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

How can we get him a social security card with correct FULL name. ? Thank you Barbara ann Skowronek

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
8/7/2017
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 11 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hello Barbara, my name is ***** ***** I'll try to help you out with your problem.

First, am i correct in presuming that your husband's current social security card says simply "Seymour Skowronek?"

If all he needs to do is simply add "Ira" to the front of that name, his options are pretty limited. 1) He can go to a local social security office and do it in person. This is usually the preferred way because they will not accept photocopies of his license, birth certificate, passport, etc. If he did not wish to visit the office he would have to mail the request to the local office and enclose copies of his ID documents that have been certified by the issuing agency. This can take more time than just waiting in line. It's also much faster to visit the office, notwithstanding the waiting line. Bear in mind that he can visit any social security office in your area, not just the one that happens to be designated as "your local office." Once they have seen his original documents they will prepare an application file and verify the information. Once the information is verified they will mail a new card with the full name as requested and the same number. So:

1. Use this link to print form SS-5, Application for Social Security Card:

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

2. Assemble your original documents: Passport, birth certificate, and driver's license showing the desired name format.

3. Take your completed application and documents to the social security office. I am sorry to have to advise a personal visit but preparing the application package for submission by mail will take much longer. Going to the office with the completed application and documents in hand will make the visit go much quicker.

I hope I have addressed your issues. If so I'd appreciate a positive rating here. You can always return after rating and ask follow up questions. Thank you!