Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

What do I need to do if my social security number has been…

Customer Question
What do I need...

What do I need to do if my social security number has been hacked

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I stupidly gave it to someone on Apple that I thought was legitimate, even though when I did it I had my reservations and I know better, and I have now found out that it was a scam

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Nothing except they have my name, address, phone number, SS# ***** one credit card that has been changed...I was notified by the credit card company concerning some charges on the account the same day that I updated my personal information on what I thought was the Apple site.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
8/5/2017
Social Security Expert: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 11 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. I am sorry that you are going through this situation. I would suggested placing a fraud message on your credit report. A fraud message is a statement on your credit report that someone may be using your information to try to obtain credit. Please contact me at the following telephone number to verify that I am actually applying. Please give me a moment to get the credit bureau information

The major credit bureaus are Equifax - www.equifax.com, Experian - www.experian.com, TransUnion - www.transunion.com.

Here is an excellent article regarding steps to take to protect yourself. https://www.transunion.com/fraud-victim-resource/fraud-victim-checklist

Some of the suggestions are:

• Placing a security freeze on your credit report will prevent lenders and others from accessing your TransUnion Credit Report entirely, which will prevent them from extending credit. You can do this online, right now.
  • Obtain and review a copy of your credit report. You would want to review for any unusual activity (new accounts or inquiries that you cannot explain).
  • If there is fraud you would want to report it to the authorities