How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 66 and have been collecting my deceased husband social

Customer Question

I am 66 and have been collecting my deceased husband social security since I was 64. Can I now switch to my own social security as it may be more than my husbands social security.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My husband was on soc. Sec. disability before he passed away back in 2001.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, you are collecting widows benefits based on your late husband's records (nobody can collect his benefits during his life or after his death). If your own benefits are higher than your widows benefits you can switch at your full retirement age and receive 100% of your benefits OR you can continue receiving your widows benefits until 70 and let your own grow another 30%.