Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Are there any ways of banking that will not effect my

Customer Question
supplemental security income? I'm trying...
Are there any ways of banking that will not effect my supplemental security income? I'm trying to save for a medical procedure that will not be covered by my medical insurance.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
8/5/2017
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 1 year ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi, my name is***** .I have been practicing SS LAW full time for 12+ years, exclusively, and look forward to assisting you.

Do you have medicaid?

What amount is your SSI benefit?

What procedure is it that would not be covered by your medicaid? Is it elective?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have state medical. Ssi but not ssdi. I was 449lbs in 2003 i now weigh 130 and have extra skin I would like removed. It has aggravated a circulation problem.

I get it. So medicaid said it would not cover. But, it seems like a medical need not just a vanity thing. I am wondering if the doctor makes that clear it if WOULD then force medicaid to pay.

My other thought is...

Do you have medicare?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have letter from medical and psyc stating it is medically necessary but insurance denied my claim. I have lupus and Sjogrens and the extra skin is having a negative affect on my physical and emotional health. My fiancee is willing to put me on his medical but I am afraid to lose my medical coverage. I was told I can't have more than 2000 in assets. He gives me money but I'm afraid if I bank it ssi will cut me off. I am allowed to work so I considered renewing my business license and list the money as pay from personal services. That way I can report to irs and accumulate work credits I need to apply for ssdi benefits later.
I also considered using PayPal or something like that to save the money he gives me but I don't know if they will know when it goes over the income limit. If i have a business (scorp) can I just not pay myself but keep the money?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not get a response. I am frugal but 700 a month only covers the basics. Are there ways I can but away money while I am one ssi.