Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I need to file for hard ship on my survivors benifets.

Customer Question
I need to file...

I need to file for hard ship on my survivors benifets. Because of an over payment my benifets are being stopped

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

It is a mess they opened the account under my ss when it was supposed to be under my late husbands & it caused major issues . overpayment was given to me 2 years ago part was paid back to ss.but now i owe & i know it . unfortunatly I cant surrive with all my bills & rent if i loose it .

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I am stuck with this high rent untill March 1 2018 because I am on a lease with my son & he moved out & i have to stay because my grandson has to finish his senior year of high school in this district . As soon as the lease is up I will move & then I can pay back what i owe .

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Social Security
8/4/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 11 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

Bear with me a moment and I’ll provide my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

There are three different types of relief that SSA will allow:

• Reconsider our decision, if you believe you are not overpaid;
  • Let you pay back the amount at a different rate; or
  • Waive (not collect) the overpayment.

...

If you don't agree that you have been overpaid, (doesn't look like that's the case here) or if you believe the amount is incorrect, you can appeal by filing Form SSA-561, Request for Reconsideration. You should explain why you think you have not been overpaid or why you think the amount is not correct.

...

If you agree that you have been overpaid and are willing to pay it back, but cannot afford to pay it back at the rate we tell you about in our letter, you should file Form SSA-632, Request for Waiver of Overpayment Recovery Or Change In Repayment Rate.

...

You can also ask for a full waiver for hardship using the same form. But based on your situation, I would ask that the repayment be deferred until your grandson finishes school.

...

This will give you some time, and you have a good, and real, reason that doing this now would cause hardship.

...

Again, here's the form: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-632.pdf

Once you complete the form, you can either call the 1800 number and set an appointment to take the frm into the local office or mail to your local office (I would send certified mail if you do the latter).

...

By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. They will set an appointment and be sue you go to talking to the right person.

OR

...

You can send to your closest Social Security Office. (Again I would send via certified mail, or even private delivery service such as FedEx so that you have a delivery signature).

...

Click here for a Social Security Office locator, where you can enter a zip code to find the closest office.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane