Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

DO I HAVE TO GO TO THE SECURITY OFFTCE IF HUSBAND DIE ATER

Customer Question

DO I HAVE TO ***** SECURITY OFFTCE IF HUSBAND DIE ATER FUNERAL HOME TOOK CARE OR THEY DO EVERYTHING
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I WAS CHECKING MY BANK ACCOUNT TODAY AND I FOUND OUT THEY HAD DEPOSIT 3 CHECKS UNDER MY NAME SO DID THEY TOOK CARE OF MY AMOUNT OF MONEY IM GETTING AFTER HUSBAND DIE
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: THATS WHY I ASK IF SOCIAL SECURITY AUTOMATICALLY DID THE CHANGES AND I DONT HAVE TO GO TO THE SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

Yes, the Funeral home took care of sending the death certificate.

...

Then see this from Social Security on the automatic change: (I'll underline the pertinent part)

...

What will happen when I report a death?

• If you are getting benefits on your spouse's or parent's record:
    • You generally will not need to file an application for survivors’ benefits.
    • We'll automatically change any monthly benefits you receive to survivor benefits after we receive the report of death.
    • We may be able to pay the Special Lump-Sum Death Payment automatically.

...

And again, the death itself was likely reported by the funderal home for you if they asked for a death certificate.

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

You can see this directly from Social Security here: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/howtoapply.html

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane