Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My Granddaughter who I adopted gets a check every month

Customer Question
My Granddaughter who I...

My Granddaughter who I adopted gets a check every month (sent to me) was wondering once she turns 18 this coming January what happens then> She will still be in High School.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Well she will still be in High School and was wondering if the check will still come until she graduates

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not sure but I know she will be going to college after that and living here until she is done.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Social Security
8/3/2017
Social Security Expert: dylatess, ATTORNEY replied 8 months ago
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY

Under the laws of Social Security, your granddaughter will continue to receive her check until she reaches her 18th birthday. After that, SS benefits stop unless she is disabled. In that case, she or you would need to apply for her for benefits known as an adult child with disabilities. I wish you both well.

dylatess
dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY