Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

I will turn 65 on October 9, do I have to start my social

Customer Question

I will turn 65 on October 9, do I have to start my social security benefit since I still working
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: what do you need to know?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I am a nurse and I make about 75,000.00 a year and I think I would like to work for another 5 years. I work as a Utilization Review Nurse so I work from home.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. You absolutely do not have to start takin benefits at 65. Here are the guidelines according to the SS administration (https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying1.html):

"You can start your Social Security retirement benefits as early as age 62 or as late as age 70. Your monthly benefit amount will be different depending on the age you start receiving it. If you choose to:

• start your benefits early, they will be reduced based on the number of months you receive benefits before you reach your full retirement age. The reduction in your benefit amount also depends on the year you were born. The maximum reduction at age 62 will be

• 25 percent for people who reached age 62 in 2013.
    • 30 percent for people born after 1959.

You could see a change in your benefit amount if you work after you start receiving benefits.

Some of your benefits may be withheld if you have excess earnings. However, after you reach full retirement age, we will recalculate your benefit amount to give you credit for any months in which you did not receive some benefit because of your earnings.

• wait until full retirement age, your benefits will not be reduced.

• delay benefits until after full retirement age, your benefit will be increased based on the number of months you do not receive benefits between full retirement age and age 70.

Caution: If you apply for benefits more than 6 months after the month you reach full retirement age, we can only pay benefits for the previous 6 months.

There is no additional benefit increase after you reach age 70, even if you continue to delay taking benefits.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Good evening. I just wanted to follow up with you. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you! Richard