How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12663
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I change my address with social security and

Customer Question

How do I change my address with social security and medicare
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: How do I change my address with social security and medicare
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane.


Please understand that you are not talking to Social Security here. This is ... a website that puts verified experts together with people who have questions about everything from Social Security, to tax, to finance, to the way these things work together.


I CAN, however, tell you exactly what your options are for getting your address changed


Social Security knows that people like to do things on line. This is why they created "MY SOCIAL SECURITY" an online account that allows you to get copies of your award letter/benefit verification letter, 1099-SSA, see your earnings record, make address changes, etc.


You can go there, log in (or simply register, THEN log in, if you've never used it) and make the address change immediately.


Here's the site for that: click here for MY SOCIAL SECURITY


If you'd rather not use your online account, you have two other options:


By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.



You can do this by going to your closest Social Security Office. (Although you might want to call the number above first to make an appointment).


Click here for a Social Security Office locator, where you can enter a zip code to find the closest office.

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way will compensate me for the work here.



I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986