How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We adopted a child who receives benefits, if we give

Customer Question

We adopted a child who receives benefits, if we give temporary guardianship to a member of our family, will her benefits continue? If she is entitled does the check go to the guardian?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Do to some health issues, we are considering giving temporary guardianship to her brother(legal) but in fact is biological father, who we also adopted as a child. Do not want to stop her benefits if she is still entitled
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Her residence will be in another state.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today :-)

Expert:  Megan C replied 2 months ago.

The child will still receive benefits, but the benefits will go to the child's guardian. This is because the benefit is for the child. If you are still paying expenses and need reimbursement, the guardian of the child could give you the money for that provided it was reimbursement for something for the child.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.