Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am 64 and will be 65 in Feb. 2018 my doctors have told me

Customer Question

Hello Pearl my name is***** am 64 and will be 65 in Feb. 2018 my doctors have told me I need to retire on disability because of health issues heart by pass and stage 4 renal failure I need to know if my insurance will cover me
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I have blue cross now
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Hi Danny. My name's Lane.

...

Yes, your BlueCross B.S. will cover you until it is no longer your primary insurance.

...

In February you will be entitled to Medicare, BUT because of your condition, you are likely eligible for SSDI (Social Security Disability insurance).

...

Social Security evaluates kidney failure under its disability listings for "genitourinary" impairments. These listings call for disability benefits to be granted in cases where any of the following is present:

• the need for regular dialysis
  • completion of a kidney transplant
  • reduced glomerular filtration combined with symptoms of damage
  • nephrotic syndrome, or
  • serious complications of kidney disease
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Once you go on Medicare, you should look at purchasing a MEdicare supplement which will cover the gaps in what Medicare Part A and B don't cover (such as the first 20% of Doctor Costs under part B).

...

But Medicare itself does cover up to 6 sessions of kidney disease education services if you have Stage IV chronic kidney disease that will usually require dialysis or a kidney transplant. Doctors, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, and clinical nurse specialists can offer these services.

...

Kidney disease education teaches you how to take the best possible care of your kidneys and gives you information you need to make informed decisions about your care. You'll learn about these topics:

1. How to manage health conditions like heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and anemia
  2. How your kidneys work
  3. What you should and shouldn’t eat
  4. How your medications work
  5. Your treatment options if your kidneys get worse:
    • Kidney transplant
    • Hemodialysis
    • Peritoneal dialysis
    • Access options for hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis

...

You can also ask about these topics:

• How you’ll feel
  • How to maintain your kidney function
  • Exercise
  • What your test results mean
  • Your family and social life
  • Work and finances
  • Your mental health
  • Your right to to choose not to get a kidney transplant or dialysis

...

Who's eligible?

People with Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) who have Stage IV chronic kidney disease (CKD). The doctor who manages your kidney disease must give you a referral for these services.

...

But again, yes your Blue Cross covers this now, with NO pre-existing condition waivers, at least until ACA is dismantled, and it appears that's going to be much more difficult than first thought.

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Lane I am going to file for my disability this week
Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

Very good. Let me know if you need more here. ANd good luck with everything.

.

Expert:  Lane replied 2 months ago.

If this HAS helped, and you don't need more on this, would appreciate a positive rating using those stars on your screen. (That's the only way they'll compensate me here).

...

But again, let me know if you have more questions.

...

Lane